twitter


poverty photo: poverty POVERTY.jpg
I am a pretty calm, soft spoken person, but if you want to see how loud or angry I can get, all you need to do is talk about "those people". You know the ones, the people who dare to seek assistance to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children? Because of the idiocy I've seen on Facebook today where it appears that Americans are okay with buying every member of Congress a $5 cup of coffee to start their day, those same people are up in arms when it comes to buying a child a birthday cake with SNAP. If you're one of those people, just go ahead and hit the little red X up there right now because I don't even want you here. On the other hand, if you do need help, you've come to the right place. Bookmark it because I am going to spend the next couple of months telling you how to get help so that maybe some time in the future you can help someone else and get out of the system that seeks to keep you where you are, even while it demoralizes you.

Let's start with some general information. I can't list sources for every county and every state right here, so I'm starting with general "I need help feeding my kids NOW" information.

Where to get food: To begin with, don't even think about letting your kids go hungry. Go to the nearest library and apply for benefits through your state Family and Children service, though it might be called something else in your state. Now, look up the number for your township trustee, Salvation Army, Red Cross, and any churches. The trustee can help you with bills so that you can have money to feed your family or put gas in your car to look for a job. Every single township in America has one and if they can't help you, they will often refer you to local resources.

The Salvation Army and Red Cross are usually helpful with food banks and often help with bills as well. They can also refer you to other local sources. If you happen to be in Indiana, I have a list of Indiana resources for parents that can get you started on the right path. But here's the deal; you need to start thinking past tomorrow. I mean, not that you aren't, but you really need to find some light at the end of the tunnel before poverty crushes everything about you. Keep coming back here. I have resources to help you save money for a house..even getting matched up to $3 for every dollar you save, ways to make money while you go back to school, and honestly, I'll be starting up my Christmas campaign to pick a family to help like I do every year and I may have some interesting things set up for that.

And if things are that bad...head for a safe house or shelter. It's getting cold out there and once you are in a shelter you are "homeless" and you move to the top of the list for government housing.

On the other side of the coin, if you want to help me help someone else this year, shoot me an email@ justkat73@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

And just so you know, I've been in a shelter. I've gotten just about every kind of assistance there was and I've moved across the country to get away from a stalker. Today I'm buying a home, running a business, and finishing a Master of Education while I raise my son. I'm not giving you information I "heard" about; I'm giving you my experience.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)