twitter



Fleas...they seem to be taking over the world this year. I'm not a big fan of using chemical warfare, so I have been looking out for alternate methods. I hope I found the solution.

I had seen and heard that you can feed your dog garlic to keep the fleas away because they hate it. Allegedly they also hate cedar, and salt dehydrates them. So I went on a mission.

I sprinkled Epsom salt with lavender (which is also supposed to repel all kinds of insects) all over my furniture and carpet. Next, I sprinkled cedar shavings all over the front porch and yard. It's the oil they hate, so I'm going to make sure to go over a pile a few times with the mower this weekend too. Everything has to sit on the carpet etc. for a couple of days, but since it smells so good, I don't mind. I also bathed them in blue Dawn dish soap.

The key is to treat your yard, house, and pet all at once. This is almost impossible since my dogs are roaming 5+ acres a day, so I figured I would at least treat the house, entryway, and area outside the door. But the garlic was an issue. I don't know about you, but my dogs have no interest in chowing down a clove of garlic. Forcing it down their throats is less than pleasant, so I tried cookies. The dogs love them, but I'm not sure yet how effective they are.

Okay so maybe I went overboard with the dog bone cookie cutter...but cute, right? Also easily identified as dog treats! If you use this recipe just know that it made both the batches pictured here and I had some left over to put in the freezer, probably about a third of what I started with. Try these anti-flea cookies and let me know how they work for you!

Anti-flea Dog Cookies
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Gather the ingredient listed below.
  • 3 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons bouillon granules or 3 dissolved cubes. I used chicken because I was out of beef.
  • 3/4 cup corn meal
  • 1 cup oats (instant is fine)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 3 tablespoons garlic
  • Bacon bits
Combine water, oats, and butter. Let sit while you combine the other ingredients. Combine dry ingredients, then add milk, egg, and garlic.

Knead dough and roll out to about 1/2" thick. Cut cookies. Sprinkle cookies with bacon bits. Bake for about 45 minutes.

Personally, I used the bacon bits because I thought they might help counteract the smell of the garlic. I pressed down on the dough and then sprinkled the bits on the larger cookies. Then I swept the bacon bits off with a basting brush and added them to the leftover dough for the smaller cookies. I'm probably going to keep them in a container in the fridge because of the cheese. If you don't want to keep them cool, you might want to leave the cheese out. My dogs loved these anti-flea cookies, so I'm hoping they do the trick. I plan to give them a treat a day. What have you tried to get rid of or prevent fleas?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  1. Garlic is NOT dangerous to dogs. You are misinformed.

  1. Thanks for tagging me on this! I too have heard that you should not feed garlic, BUT, if you do research you will find that many Vets actually recommend it. You can even buy garlic granules for dogs to add to their food. This recipe sounds like something my fur kids will enjoy!

  1. Time to bake some cookies. :) Thanks so much for the information.!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)