twitter


Guest Post by Michelle Devon

We're all crazy. Every single one of us has our little idiosyncrasies that if anyone else knew about them, we worry what others might think. This is normal, and yet, we think of it as being crazy behavior we don't want anyone else to know. We hide it from other people, sometimes even from ourselves, but it's still a part of us.

Sometimes, these are simple things: Perhaps we dance around naked in the living room with the music blaring and a broomstick as a microphone, even though we aren't thirteen-years-old any longer. Or it could be something more sinister: We fantasize about ways to torture the coworker in the next cubicle, and actually are not horrified by what we imagine, but rather, laugh gleefully at the thought of it.

Perhaps the difference between those who wander around and lead fulfilling lives and those who get locked up for their thoughts is as simple as one thing: action. We might think these things, but we don't act upon them, whereas a 'crazy' person might very well act upon them. Therefore, the thinking of things alone isn't enough to condemn us to lock up for our insanities.

But we all have them.

I remember years ago in one of my beginning psych classes in college, I heard a joke attributed to Freud, but I have no clue who really said it. The joke goes like this: There are two types of crazy people in the world; there are those who are crazy because something inside of them broke, either by circumstance, happenstance, or birth. These people can be helped, because all you have to do is fix what's broken. But the second kind of crazy person is hard to fix. These are the people who have adopted 'crazy' as a way of life in order to deal with what they perceive as a crazy world. To fix these people, you must prove to them that the world is, indeed, quite sane; this is a proposition that is impossible to accomplish.

In other words, the world is crazy, and perhaps it's meant to be crazy.

And we writers, we are the ones who examine the 'crazy', put it on paper for the world to read, and make it seem like this behavior is sane.

But we know better. We know we're crazy. In fact, most people who feel compelled or drawn to write fiction for a living will likely tell you that they have known for a long time that they are different, somehow. You see, it's your daydreams, your fantasies, your horrors, your nightmares, your psyche that we live in and examine while we write. We present these things to you in a realistic light for examination.

For me, that's exactly what keeps me sane: the writing. I get a chance to explore all the things that make me crazy, and then I write that stuff out of me. So writing is that dreaded affliction that both makes me crazy and keeps me sane at the same time. Try wrapping your mind around that for a moment. It's a completely dependent and codependent relationship I have with writing; I need it, I want it, it makes me crazy, it keeps me sane. It's a blessing and a curse.

So my stories often deal with those fractures in the mind, those places where our secrets hide, where our dreams live out in real life, where the things that make us whole are the very things that make us broken too. My stories deal with misperceptions and how that affects reality for each individual. My stories deal with shifting perceptions, misunderstandings, and sometimes, outright fantasy made real.

That is what I offer when you pick up any story I have written: A chance to both escape and explore the definition of reality, to experience fantasy in a whole new way that makes it seem much like a reflection of reality, but you'll know the difference. Or at least, you'll think you know the difference.

After you read CELESTE, you may never again know for certain the nature of reality. Then, repeat that experience in a whole new setting by picking up DREAM WALKING, or stay tuned soon for the release of my latest novella, ABDUCTED, due to be released the end of this month. Each of these stories is a dose of reality, wrapped in perception. I hope you enjoy them and will leave me comments or reviews about what you think of the stories, and if I've done my job well, perhaps you'll tell me how your perception of reality has shifted.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a single mother and doubt I will ever be one (I'm male). I loved Michelle's guest post and am anxious to read some of her writing. I have written in several genres, and am also a retired psychologist. That's not quite the way I heard it in graduate school but her account of the crazies is much more interesting!

  1. Cool post! It is the "crazy" thoughts that can sometimes lead to the most interesting possibililties. I look forward to reading your stories.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)