Child support can mean the difference between a custodial parent having to work multiple jobs so that he or whenever even gets to see the child they have custody of and living hand to mouth. Either option isn't a pleasant one. And with the economy being in the shape it's in, child support may be even harder to obtain since everyone is trying to hold onto every dime they have.

Let's make one thing clear: child support is there to help with the cost of raising a child. It's not a tool to punish the absent parent or allow the custodial parent to shirk from their own responsibilities. In most states, like Indiana, child support is a separate issue from visitation. No, it's not legal or even ethical to disallow visitation based on the lack of child support.

For some, like me, it's also a matter of hit and miss. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I pay my bills whether I get it or not, so if I do, it's more of a "bonus" and I abhor listening to people complain about how people spend child support. As long as the child is taken care of, spending child support on extras isn't anyone's business. Sometimes I have to get creative to get my child support. If you find yourself in a situation where the parent is doing everything they can not to pay support, you might have to use one of the methods below.

Keep a record of his or her employment and share it. There are instances when the non-custodial parent does not inform their employer that he or she owes child support. You don't have to contact the employer, but it is within your rights to contact the child support office where your support is filed through. They will be more than happy to contact the employer for you.

Learn who the non-custodial parent actually has to answer to. A friend of mine recently exposed her ex for his lack of child support. While he wouldn't respond to her, he will respond to the school board he was elected to. After all, you can hardly assure parents that you'll take care of their children when you won't even take care of your own. Nothing quite makes a parent question their election choices like having the option of a parent who won't take care of his own responsibilities.

Remember that your pride isn't going to feed your child. If you can't afford a lawyer to get child support started, most states will do it for you if you use on of your state resources. For instance, one of Indiana's parenting resources is TANF. TANF is cash assistance the replaces child support. Keep in mind that the state is looking out for its own interests, not yours or your child's. If you get cash assistance, you will be required to cooperate as the state takes measures to obtain child support. If things aren't quite that bad, talk to your local child support office. Often you can file on your own for a small fee. No, the government didn't suddenly get generous. They just know that if you aren't seeking the state's assistance now, you might have to sooner or later if the non-custodial parent doesn't take care of their financial responsibilities.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)