twitter


Staying positive is a sometimes daily struggle for me. I think way too much and I constantly judge myself and find my actions falling short. I have to make a serious effort to be positive. And when I do, I find that getting through the day is a pleasure.

Evict negative thoughts. The first thing I have to do is get rid of my negative thoughts. I used to try to alter them, but I find it's better to just get rid of them altogether. I simply think about something else. Even if the things I worry about will actually happen, it's not the end of the world. Life does go on.

Use a mantra. If you hear something often enough, you believe it. As a child, I heard daily that I was "stupid, ugly, and crazy". Those are the exact words that were used and is exactly why they are banned from my home. I use the same method that tore me down to build me up. I don't sit around complimenting myself all day. But, I do often start the day with a mantra for success. I repeat it until I believe it.

Give yourself a positive environment. I don't mean to surround yourself with a bunch of useless material items. There are people in your life that are emotional vampires. They quite literally feel good after they've done what they can to make you feel bad. But, you let them make you feel bad. Stay away from these people because no matter how hard you try, they will never care for you as much as you care for them. That's not a reflection on you either. Aside from people, bring some color and sunlight into your life.

7 comments:

  1. Can I go and crack the person upside the head who said such awful things to you as a child?

  1. It wouldn't do any good. People like that never change. And sadly, that was probably the nicest thing she did to me.

  1. Great philosophy. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, 'No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' Think positive!

  1. I'm on this train with you. The negative does nothing positive, ever.

  1. I sooooo love this post, very nice!

  1. Our actions always fall short when we compare reality to the fantasy of perfection in our heads. A friend of mine was much taken by a biography of Cary Grant, where he made some kind of remark about how even Cary Grant wasn't Cary Grant all the time.

    You're human, and wonderful just the way you are.

  1. I'm sorry you had to hear those words as a child. Parents are some of the worst bullies out there. I'm glad you're aware of surrounding yourself with positive people and the things that make you feel good. Thanks for sharing. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)