Hunter and I live in an apartment, so for us the main problem is storage. What's that you say? Get rid of some stuff? Oh, but I did! Just ask my neighbors and friends here in town who now possess many of my beloved books (among other things). Even Hunter got in on it as we redid his room and he filled boxes with things to give away. Recycling at its best!
At any rate, since our little family is among the 99% (couldn't resist the plug-in there), we don't generally buy new furniture. Instead, we re-vamp what we own. Now, be patient because this is my first project like this in a long, long time!
Here's what happened. This dresser was given to me about 7 years ago. It was in horrendous shape then, but I was in the middle of remodeling a house and didn't need a new project. So, I threw a coat of white paint on it and called it not good, but useful.
I invested in a new bed for Hunter. It has drawers etc. and is perfect for a kid's room. I also got rid of some things in the living room and needed something to set the television on. And yes, we seriously are hillbilly enough to use a dresser.
It's not very clear in the pic, but one of the drawers was missing part of the top edge. I really wanted to get some fabric involved with this project, so I didn't want to just repair and paint. I also wanted beads involved on the drawers, but got vetoed by Hunter, who didn't want the living room to look as girly as the truck with its pink dice hanging from the mirror.
I went to a discount store and bought some new drawer knobs. They were 3 for $1, a fine deal. I painted the dresser, built up the broken drawer with some very hardy cardboard, wrapped the top drawers in batting, then in fabric. The hardest part was securing the batting/fabric with the staple gun. Note how it bunches in some areas-something that will drive me nuts and will eventually get fixed. I painted some of the older knobs that were in good shape, then affixed all the knobs to the dresser.
I already had the fabric, batting and staples. The paint cost less than $10 and I added what was left to some white paint for Hunter's room, making the cost for paint for the dresser less than $5. The knobs cost $4. So, in the end, the sum total was less than $10 and I now have a perect spot for my television as well as all my DVDs.