twitter


More often that I would like, I hear people talking about how there isn't anything for the kids in Starke County Indiana to do. I tend to agree because unless kids live on a farm or own an atv, there really isn't much for them to do. But, today was a bit different.

We got a flyer today about a youth rally happening tonight in the 4-H fairgrounds right across the street from us. We weren't sure if we were going to go, but the phone was ringing off the hook and we were getting a bit agitated here. So, off we went.

The Starke County Youth Rally was sponsored by A Positive Approach to Teen Health, a non-profit educational group aimed at helping teens make positive life choices. I have to admit, it wasn't what I expected.

As we entered the Community Building at the Starke County 4-H fairgrounds, we had to register. Then, they gave us a scavenger hunt list. Of course, the band was playing the whole time and kids were dancing with lit up hula hoops.

The scavenger hunt required that you participate in specific events, like having an inflatable pony race, or boxing your buddy with over-sized boxing gloves. After each event, you collected an item. The kids also had to collect items from the security guards and the band's promo table. Kids who were Hunter's age got a leather bracelet as a reward, but the older kids were entered in a contest to win an iPod, a bike, camera or other prizes.

And did I mention the face painting? This wasn't your average face painting booth. Teen girls walked around with glittering butterfly wings around their eyes and other fanciful, detailed decorations.

All in all, I would have to say that the kids had a great time. I didn't even see one argument. They even provided pamphlets on puberty and other issues that kids need to be aware of. If you get a chance to go to one of these youth rallies, be sure to do so. The only downside for me was that I didn't see more Starke County kids there. On the upside, as a Parenting Featured Contributor for the Yahoo! Contributor Network, I'll have to keep an eye on this organization because they have an incredible amount of fodder for new parenting articles!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kathy!
    I just wanted to swing by and say HI!
    I found your blog on the circle of moms interview page, our interviews were right next to eachother and we had pretty much the same response to the question about the best part of being a single mama - the relationship we have with our sons!
    Three cheers for single mamas to beautiful boys! :)

    www.oliveradoption.blogspot.com

  1. Thanks Anne! I didn't even know the interviews were up yet. I didn't get an email about it. And cheers right back at ya!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! I'd love to hear from you. Please help me spread some positive energy by sharing some of your own :)